In the continuously evolving global economy, tough business decisions are inevitable. The global litigation practice of Aina Blankson has a 25 year track record of dealing with major financial, commercial and constitutional disputes. We are poised to guide our clients through any challenging or critical business, political and financial dispute or strategic decisions bound to arise. Regardless of the commercial implications of disputes, we design sustainable legal strategies fully complementary to our clients’ businesses objectives in managing such disputes. We vigorously pursue and protect our clients’ interests until a successful closing, irrespective of the dispute resolution mechanism employed.
Supported by cutting edge technology and lead the field in innovation, Aina Blankson litigators, arbitrators and mediators are proven effective dispute advisers.
We remain strong advocates of dispute avoidance, which is why we advise our clients on how to structure dispute resolution procedures as well as minimize and manage the risk of disputes occurring. We are not defined by our problem solving skills, but our ability to guide clients through disputes. Our resources and experience enable us to move quickly and decisively in applying our skills to pre-empt and resolve disputes.
Our litigation capabilities extend across the world with dedicated and experienced litigators drawing on the integrated and specialist support of all the practice areas of the Firm. We provide cutting-edge representation to multinational corporations, banks, governments, professional bodies and private institutions across a wide range of business sectors. Our team also offers case management and legal audit services as well as conducting due diligence in respect of non-contentious corporate governance and compliance issues.
The delivery of innovative, creative and cost-effective solutions through ADR has, for many years, been a pivotal aspect of our pre-eminent dispute resolution practice.
Our unique dispute prevention approach is the first test for every brief referred to the Firm. By this, we ensure that alternative dispute mechanisms are applied as may be relevant and practical; prompt resolution of commercial disputes are by this method assured regardless of any existing adjudicatory processes. Our team, led by Kehinde Aina, founder of the Lagos Multi-Door Court House and director at the International Mediation Institute, includes skilled accredited arbitrators, negotiators and mediators versed in the LCIA, ICC, NYC, LCA Arbitration rules and always secure the best deals for clients irrespective of the complexities of the dispute.
As businesses become more global, so do the disputes spawned by them. Clients increasingly become involved in cross-border disputes and disputes in unfamiliar jurisdictions. Our global litigation practice offers unrivalled expertise in the management and co-ordination of international disputes. We provide excellent advice and service based on the quality and commitment of our lawyers. We have assembled a formidable team, led by Kehinde Aina, founder of the Lagos Multi-Door Court House and several ADR connected initiatives, with considerable experience of managing and resolving disputes under various arbitration rules including the LCIA, ICC, NYC, and LCA.
Our Experience Includes:
- When Nigeria’s Corporate Affairs Commission and all 23 Banks became embroiled in a dispute which extended the frontiers of mandatory disclosure principle, it was Aina Blankson that the regulatory body turned to for representation in the courts
- When oil conglomerate Chevron engaged BNP Paribas in its attempt to divest interest in one of its major subsidiaries and a dispute arose over compliance with the regulatory framework on takeover bids in Nigeria, Aina Blankson was the firm of choice
- Quite apart from the string of representations on election related disputes in Nigeria, Aina Blankson recently led a team of Lawyers from other firms in successfully defending an incumbent State Governor on an impeachment proceeding before a judicial panel
- Following in its recognition as the firm of choice on banking and finance transactions, Aina Blankson represented a South African bank when questions on the rights and obligations of Parties under a private placement arrangement resulted in litigation
- In a very complex multi-billion dollar corporate structuring transaction which resulted in a court action on the validity of the merger and the plea bargain entered into by the erstwhile Chief Executive, it was Aina Blankson that provided the initial opinion and eventual representation for the acquiring Bank.
Some of our landmark cases which got recognition within the Nigerian Law Reports include:
- Emelogu Vs. The State (1988) 5 SCNJ 79
- Dickson Arisa Vs. The State (1988) 7 SCNJ 73
- Anieze Vs. Ude (1993) 5 SCNJ 151
- Nzeribe Vs. Dave Engineering (1994) 9 SCNJ 161
- Mbadinuju Vs. Ezuka (1994) 10 SCNJ 109
- C. Nnoli Vs. Unth (1994) 10 SCNJ 71
- Owhonda Vs. Ekpechi (2003) 9 —10 SC 1
- Ndoma-Egba Vs. Uba (2005) 7 SC (PT. III) 27
- Chigbu Vs. Tonimas (2006) 4 SC (PT. II) 186
- G. Anam bra Vs. A.G. Federation (2005) 5 SC (PT. I) 73
- Nwankwo Vs. Nwankwo (1995) 5 SCNJ 44
- Ubn Plc Vs. Bonimakus (2005) 7 SC (PT. II) 70
- Chief T. A. Orji & Anor. Vs. P. D. P (2009) 14 NWLR (PT. pp1161) 310 CA.